If you’re here looking for the best nail gun for baseboards, then you’ve come to the right place.
In this article, I am going to review 7 nail guns that will make your baseboard installation project easy and hassle-free.
If in a rush, check out this table listing down the 7 nailers ideal for baseboards;
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Nail Guns for Baseboards at a Glance;
- 2 What Type of Nail Gun is Used for Baseboards?
- 3 Best Nail Gun for Baseboards (Our Top 7 Picks for 2021)
- 4 Best Nail Gun for Baseboards-Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Best Nail Guns for Baseboards at a Glance;
What Type of Nail Gun is Used for Baseboards?
But before I go ahead and list down the 7 nail guns, I would like you to bear in mind that a finish nailer is the most suitable nail gun for installing baseboards compared to a brad nailer.
Why is that?
This is simply because brad nailers are a thinner gauge compared to their finish nailer counterpart. The nails used in brad nailers typically range from 18 GA and above.
Since they are ultra thin, brad nails may not hold the baseboard securely into the drywall or concrete wall. Plus the fact that they are thin means that you cannot use a hammer to drive them in.
Finish nails on the other hand are sturdy enough to hold baseboards securely. They are significantly bigger and a finish nailer is designed to accommodate either 15-gauge or 16-gauge nails.
This makes finish nailers ideal for crown molding, baseboards installation, cabinets, hardwood flooring, millwork, chair rails, and more.
That said, lets go right ahead and discuss the 7 best nailers for baseboards;
Also check out the Best Nail Gun for Crown Molding
Best Nail Gun for Baseboards (Our Top 7 Picks for 2021)
1.Freeman P4FRFNCB Pneumatic Framing & Finishing Combo Kit with Canvas Bag
One of the best-selling framing and finish nailer combo is the Freeman P4FRFNCB Pneumatic Framing & Finishing Combo Kit.
This combo kit basically covers all of your framing and finishing needs.
Whether you’re a professional woodworker or an enthusiastic DIYer, the Freeman combo kit has got you covered.
The package includes;
- A framing nailer
- A finish nailer
- A straight brad nailer
- A narrow crown stapler
Also included in the package is a durable canvas carrying bag to stash these power tools for storage and transportation.
The framing nailer is perfect for heavy-duty woodworking projects like roof decking, sub-floors, basement remodeling, pallet building, fencing, and many other projects.
For fine-finish projects like installing crown molding, baseboards, cabinetry, chair rails, and window casings, you can either use the angled finish nailer or the brad nailer.
And lastly, the narrow crown stapler is the ideal choice for all your fine, small projects such as picture frames, decorative trim, cabinet backing, crafts, and hobbies.
The best part?
You get this awesome combo kit at a really affordable price!
In fact, some nail guns cost as much as these four power tools combined. So if you’re on a budget, the Freeman 4-Piece Framing and Finishing Nailer Combo Kit is the most perfect choice.
But since installing baseboards requires a finish nailer, let’s discuss the main features of the Freeman Pneumatic Finish Nailer;
- Features a dual-mode trigger that allows for either sequential or single firing
- Features a quick-jam release nose
- Features an adjustable depth that lets you determine how deep the nails go- makes it suitable for a wide range of applications
- Comes with a No-Mar Tip that helps eliminate damage to work surfaces- this ensures professional end results
- It’s also equipped with an anti-dust cap that (air filter) helps keep the interior of the nailer dust and debris free. This increases its longevity while ensuring it performs its best all the time
- It’s also equipped with a 360-degree adjustable exhaust that directs the air away from your face so you can work without any issues
- Boasts of an oil-free design that ensures your no oil spills on your work space- helps keep your work surfaces clean all the time
- Built-to-last- this finish nailer is made boasts of a sturdy and durable construction since its made with premium materials
- Lightweight design- despite having a sturdy and durable construction, the Freeman Finish Nailer is also lightweight for comfort and balance- you can use it for extended periods of time without experiencing any fatigue or discomfort
- Its budget-friendly- you pay so little for a combination of 4 power tools
NB: This particular model also comes with another style that consists of the combo kit as well 1000 nails (2 by 15 inch)
- Works great but may jam
2. Metabo HPT Finish Nailer, 15 Gauge, Pneumatic, Angled-Best Nail Gun for Trim and Baseboard
Our second best nail gun for baseboards is the Metabo HPT Finish Nailer.
This finish nail gun accepts 15 gauge finish nails from 1-1/4 inches up to 2-1/2 inches.
This makes it a suitable choice for installing baseboards, crown molding, interior and exterior trim, cabinets, windows and doors casings, chair rails, and more.
At first glance, you will immediately notice that this nail gun has a compact body and an angled magazine which makes it extremely easy to work with in tight spaces. It makes maneuvering easy and hassle-free as well.
The nail gun also boasts of the following features;
- Features a tool-free depth of drive dial that lets you easily adjust the nail depth into different types of materials. This ensures better control and a professional finish
- Trigger switch that lets you easily switch from either sequential or contact nailing
- Its equipped with an Air Duster that helps quickly clear debris from your work surface for cleaner and faster job completion
- It also comes with a 360-degree fully adjustable exhaust port that directs air away from your face
- No-Mar Tip- This finish nailer comes with a no-mar tip that protects delicate work surfaces from dents and dings. Its removable so you can just do away with it when its not needed
- Angled Magazine- The nail gun also comes with an angled magazine which allows for easier placement and maneuvering in tight spaces
- Lightweight Design- weighing only 4.2 lbs, the Metabo finish nailer is one of the most lightweight nailers in the market. It helps minimize fatigue and discomfort while increasing maneuverability
- Sturdy Construction- At first glance, the Metabo Finish Nailer looks sturdy and durable. It’s the most suitable nailer if you’re looking for a power tool that will serve you for the long haul
- Like most nailers, the Metabo HPT finish nailer does jam. Although its not usually as often, it can be frustrating when you have a huge project to complete
- Doesn’t have a belt hook. When standing on a ladder or when you have to keep moving, it can be tiring keeping the nailer in your hands all the time. A belt hook does a great job keeping your hands free
Also check out the Best Nail Guns for Hardie Trim
3. DEWALT 20V MAX Finish Nailer, Angled, 16GA, Tool Only (DCN660B)
Our 3rd best nailer for installing baseboards is the DEWALT 20V MAX Angled Finish Nailer.
This nailer is designed to drive 16 gauge angled finish nails from 1-1/4 inches to 2-1/2 inches.
This makes it an excellent choice for fine woodworking projects like crown molding, baseboards installation, casings, and many others.
As a battery-powered finish nailer, the DEWALT DCN660B Angled Finish Nailer is ready right out of the box.
Plus its cordless design makes it easy to handle, transport, and even store.
The availability of the battery also eliminates the need of a compressor, hose, or gas cartridges.
The nailer is equipped with a powerful brushless motor that is powered by a DEWALT 20V MAX Lithium Ion battery. Its capable of driving a large number of nails with just one charge.
It’s one of the most powerful finish nailers in the market that is backed by DEWALT’s decades of dedication towards providing its customers with high-quality, high-performance power tools.
Other important features worth mentioning about this DEWALT 20V MAX Angled Finish Nailer include;
- Features a tool-free selectable trigger for either sequential or contact actuation modes
- Comes with a brushless motor that significantly maximizes the tool’s runtime and durability
- Features a tool-free depth adjustment for precise countersinking of finish nails
- Its also equipped with a tool-free jam release which helps to quickly and easily clear nail jams
- Also features an inline magazine that provides hassle-free use in countless orientation and for easy maneuverability especially in tight spaces
- The finish nailer is also equipped with an integrated tool-free stall release lever which quickly resets the driver blade in case of a stall
- The nailer is also fully compatible with all DEWALT 20V MAX batteries
- Despite being one of the most durable, heavy-duty finish nailers in the market, the DEWALT Angled Finish Nailer is not without flaws. Like most nail guns, this nailer jams, well not on a regular basis but it does, which can be frustrating
- No battery or charger included- The package only contains the power tool- it does not include a Lithium-Ion battery or charger. You’ll need to purchase these separately. It would make everything much easier if they just included these two
Best Nail Gun for Baseboards-Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What Type of Nail Gun is Used for Baseboards?
As I have mentioned above, the most suitable nail gun for baseboards is a finish nailer. Specifically, a 15 gauge or 16 gauge nailer.
A 15 gauge nailer is designed to drive nail sizes from 1-1/4 inches up to 2-1/2 inches. A 16 gauge nailer on the other hand is designed to fire nails from 3/4” to 2-1/2” inches long.
Since 15 gauge nails have a heavier head, they tend to have more holding power.16 gauge nails are a little bit thinner compared to 15 gauge nails. The only difference is that they have a smaller head and are therefore not as visible when fired into fine woodworking projects like baseboards or crown molding.
16 gauge nails also have a strong holding power.
2.Do You Need a Nail Gun for Baseboards?
Yes, you definitely need a nail gun for baseboards.
A nail gun is the most preferred power tool among professional woodworkers and DIY enthusiasts as it provides an easy, fast, and highly effective way to install baseboards.
Unlike going the traditional way using a hammer, a nail gun allows you to install baseboards without causing any damage to them while at the same time securing them well on the wall.
There are countless brands of nail guns that are ideal for baseboards. However, the 7 nail guns I’ve reviewed above are some of the best.
The nail guns are available at various price ranges. Be sure to select one that best suits your budget.
3. 16 or 18 Gauge Nailer for Baseboard?
Generally, 18 gauge nails don’t hold very well especially on baseboards.
For greater holding power, go for either a 16 gauge nailer or a 15 gauge one.
Regardless of the thickness of the baseboard, make sure that the nailer is either 16GA or 15GA.
The nails used should also not be less than 2-1/2 inches long since this is the most ideal length for baseboard nails.
4.Can You Use 16 Gauge Nails for Baseboards?
Like I have mentioned above, the best nail gun for baseboards is either a 16GA or 15 GA nailer. So you should be able to secure baseboards with this type of nail.
5. What Size Nails for Baseboard Trim?
For baseboard trim, you’ll also require either a 15 GA or 16GA nail gun.