Are you looking for the best nail gun for hardie trim? If yes, then this guide is for you.
Installing the James Hardie Trim requires a finishing nail gun, specifically, 16 GA nail gun.
16 Gauge nailers shoot either 15 or 16 GA nails and are slightly larger than brad nails.
Although 16 gauge nails are a little bit thinner compared to 15 gauge nails, they generally have good holding power.
Their high holding strength makes them ideal for firing nails into larger, more bulkier hardie trim.
That said, let’s have a look at 10 of the best nailers for hardie trim in 2020.
If you’re in a rush, check out the top 10 best nail guns for hardie trim in the table below;
Best Nail Gun for Hardie Trim at a Glance:
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Nail Gun for Hardie Trim (Top 10 Picks and Comprehensive Buyer’s Guide)
- 1.1 1. PORTER-CABLE 20V MAX Finish Nailer, Straight, 16GA (PCC792LA)-Best Nail Gun for Hardie Trim
- 1.2 2. DEWALT 20V MAX Finish Nailer, Angled, 16GA, Tool Only (DCN660B)
- 1.4 3. Best Budget Nailer for Hardie Trim-NuMax SFN64 Pneumatic 16-Gauge 2-1/2″ Straight Finish Nailer
- 1.5 4. Paslode, Cordless Finish Nailer, 902400, 16 Gauge Angled, Battery and Fuel Cell Powered
- 1.6 5. Metabo HPT NT65M2S Finish Nailer with Air Hose
- 1.7 6. BOSTITCH Finish Nailer Kit, 16GA, Smart Point (BTFP71917)
- 1.8 7. DEWALT 20V MAX XR Finish Nailer, Angled, 16GA (DCN660D1)
- 1.9 How to Install Hardie Trim?
- 2 Best Nail Gun for Hardie Trim- Wrapping It Up
Best Nail Gun for Hardie Trim (Top 10 Picks and Comprehensive Buyer’s Guide)
1. PORTER-CABLE 20V MAX Finish Nailer, Straight, 16GA (PCC792LA)-Best Nail Gun for Hardie Trim
One of the best nail guns for installing hardie trim is the Porter-Cable PCC792LA 20V MAX Finish Nailer Straight 16GA.
This finish nailer comes with a motor design that is able to provide consistent firing power into different types of materials.
These include trims, crown molding, baseboards, cabinet assembly, and many others.
It’s suitable for both interior and exterior trim work, including installing hardie trim.
The Porter-Cable nailer uses 16 GA straight nails with a fastener length capacity of 1” to 2-1/2”. It also comes with a high-storage magazine with a capacity of up to 100 nails.
Because this finishing nailer is 100 percent battery-powered, you don’t need to use a compressor, a hose, or some costly gas cartridges. It’s easy to use and portable too thanks to its cordless design.
Other features worth mentioning about the Porter-Cable PCC792LA nail gun include;
- Multiple Tool-Free Settings that increase your productivity while enhancing your safety
- Optimal Center of Gravity that gives you exceptional comfort in multiple positions
- Lightweight design for reduced fatigue and discomfort when using it for extended periods of time (makes it ideal for professionals)
- Multi-Functional Dual LED Lights for lighting up your workspaces and also for error indication
- Backed by a 3-Year Limited Warranty
- Budget-friendly compared to some high-end models
- Although the Porter-Cable nail gun is quite a popular option, I have noticed a few complaints about it jamming after shooting a number of nails. This can be really frustrating.
- Some people feel it’s too heavy. This is not a common complaint as the nail gun boasts of a lightweight design. So the weight may feel different depending on the person
DEWALT is one of the largest and most popular manufacturers of power tools and hand tools for the construction, manufacturing, and woodworking industries.
It’s a company that is renowned for its high-quality products and their DEWALT 20V MAX Finish Nailer is a clear depiction of what they stand for.
The DEWALT 20V MAX Finish Nailer is currently one of the best-selling finish nailers on Amazon.
It’s our second best nailer for hardie trim and it’s all for the right reasons.
The DCN660B finish nailer drives 16 Gauge angled finish nails from 1-1/4” to 2-1/2”. Its a great nail gun for crown molding, all kinds of trim work(including hardie trim), baseboards, casings, and more.
This finish nailer comes with a Brushless Motor that is fully powered by the 20V MAX Lithium Ion battery for maximum runtime and durability.
Since it’s battery-powered, you don’t need to hassle with a compressor, hose, or gas cartridges.
The battery charge lasts long enough to allow you to fire nails continuously and efficiently.
Important features worth mentioning include;
- It features a tool-free depth adjustment which ensures precise countersinking of nails
- It features a tool-free selectable trigger for both sequential or contact actuation modes
- Also features a tool-free jam release mechanism to help you quickly and easily clean nail jams
- Features an Inline Magazine that lets you easily use the nail gun in tight spaces and multiple orientations
- Also features a tool-free stall release lever that lets you quickly reset the driver blade in the event of a stall
- Comes with a Multi-Functional LED lights that not only allows you to see clearly in dark work spaces, but also let you quickly indicate errors
- Also comes with an Adjustable belt hook that allow you to attach the tool either on your right or left depending on your preferences
- Its fully compatible with all DEWALT 20V MAX batteries
- Boasts of a Lightweight Design- weighs only 6lbs, so it won’t weigh you down or cause fatigue and discomfort
- Great build quality- the finish nailer is built to last
- Expensive- The DEWALT Finish Nailer doesn’t come cheap. Its one of the most expensive nail guns in the market. It may not be a suitable choice for people who are on a tight budget. If you’re looking for a more affordable finish nailer for your hardie trim project, the Porter-Cable finish nailer I’ve reviewed above is an excellent choice
- It jams constantly- this seems to be a very common problem with most nail guns. In fact, almost all of the nail guns I’ve reviewed in this article jam after firing a number of nails
3. Best Budget Nailer for Hardie Trim-NuMax SFN64 Pneumatic 16-Gauge 2-1/2″ Straight Finish Nailer
The NuMax SFN64 Pneumatic 16-Gauge 2-1/2” Straight Finish Nailer is one of the best finish nailers in the market. It’s actually among the best-selling finish nailers on the Amazon.
If you’re on a tight budget, this is the nail gun for you. It’s quite cheap and affordable compared to a majority of the finish nailers in the market.
The NuMax SFN64 Pneumatic 16-Gauge Straight Finish Nailer is an excellent choice for installing hardie trim.
A versatile tool, this nail gun is suitable for all kinds of projects such as interior and exterior finish and trim, cabinet work, shoe and crown moulding, baseboards, staircases, chair rail moulding, furniture, and more.
The nail gun features a sequential firing system which is specifically designed to fire just one fastener at a time. This allows you to easily and accurately place fasteners.
The firing depth adjustment ensures consistent driving depth of nails.
The nailer also features a Quick Jam release that allows you to easily and quickly clear nail jams without going through the hassle of disassembling the entire tool.
With its high-capacity magazine, the NuMax finish nailer is capable of holding up to 100 straight finish nails. This increases your productivity by allowing you to work for longer periods without requiring to reload.
Other important features worth mentioning include;
- An Ergonomic Grip that ensures a secure and comfortable grip and even provides excellent anti-vibration for maximum comfort- you won’t experience any fatigue or discomfort when working for extended periods of time
- No-Mar Tip- The no-mar tip prevents dents and dings by preventing firing of nails until its safely in contact with your work surface
- Features a 360 degrees Adjustable Exhaust- The adjustable exhaust helps direct air away from your face for added comfort. You can also use the exhaust to blow away debris from your workspace
- Features an Anti-Dust Cap that helps keep the internal parts of this nail gun clean, even during storage
- Also comes with a preinstalled ¼” NPT fitting so you wont need to purchase separately. It’s designed to fit most air hose couplers
- Features a one-piece drive blade for increased durability
- Sturdy and Durable construction
- Its budget-friendly
- Few jamming complaints
The Paslode Cordless Finish Nailer is yet another incredibly powerful nailer that will work perfectly on your hardie trim installation project.
This 16 GA nailer is suitable for hardie trim and is also great for installing cabinets, molding, and assembling furniture.
It’s battery-powered and is capable of driving up to 12,000 nails per charge, which is great if you’re looking to complete a large project fast.
The finish nailer also boasts of an open light of sight which ensures precise fastening accuracy.
This unit features a depth of drive thumbwheel that easily adjusts fastener depth without tools.
When used with the new fuel and nail combination pack, this trim nailer system is capable of providing the ultimate reliability, speed, and power expected from a Paslode finish nailer.
Other crucial features worth mentioning include;
- A No-Mar Tip that helps protect your delicate work surface from accidental dents and dings
- A Quicklode Fuel System that provides speedy loading for incredibly fast and reliable power
- Boasts of a lightweight design (weighs only 4.5lbs) for comfortable handling, stability, balance, and better control
- Comes with a tool-free belt hook that lets you keep the nail gun close to you while keeping your hands-free when not in use
- Great for Tight Spaces- Its cordless design and no hose or compressor gives it excellent maneuverability so you can place the nail properly even in tight spaces
- Great built quality for maximum durability
- Doesn’t come cheap
- Jamming issues
Our 5th best nail gun for hardie trim is the Metabo HPT NT65M2S Finish Nailer with Air Hose.
If you don’t already know, the popular Hitachi power tools have been renamed to Metabo HPT.
Basically, these are the same tools- the only difference is the name change.
Anyway, the Metabo HPT NT65M2S Finish Nailer is one of the best nail guns for hardie trim.
The nailer only accommodates 16-gauge finish nails measuring between 1” up to 2-1/2”. It does not accommodate other sizes so you should probably keep this in mind before purchasing it.
As for the trigger type, the Metabo HPT nail gun comes with a selective actuation switch that allows you to easily select bump fire or sequential firing modes.
It also features a tool-free depth of drive adjustment that ensures a professional finish when fastening into a wide range of materials.
This power nail gun is also equipped with the Metabo HPT’s signature air duster button that conveniently blows dust and debris instantly so you can work on a clear surface.
Another feature worth mentioning is the 360-degree fully-adjustable exhaust port that directs air away from your face during use for comfort.
Other notable features worth mentioning about the Metabo HPT 16GA Finish Nailer include;
- Boasts of a Lightweight Design- The finish nailer weighs only 3.7lbs and is well-balanced for great stability as well as reduced fatigue and discomfort when working for extended periods of time. The lightweight design also allows for better maneuverability
- Unmatched Strength, in that it comfortably handles 300 PSI with a 3-to-1 burst ratio
- Superior Sturdiness and Durability- This nail gun comes with bend restrictors which enhance its durability, plus it stays flexible even in cold weather. It’s also Spiral Reinforced for added durability
- Features a No-Mar Tip
- The Metabo HPT is an award winning nailer- having been rated the Pro Preferred Nailer for 7 years and counting by the Builder and Developer Magazine
- It comes at a budget-friendly cost- way cheaper compared to some high-end models I’ve reviewed in this article
NB: The Metabo HPT finish nailer comes with additional tools like an Air Hose, Pancake Compressor, and even a Starter Kit.
- It’s not cordless- not that it’s an issue but most people would prefer a battery-powered nailer for ease of use and transportation. Of course, finish nailers powered by air compressors are pretty powerful. However, a cordless nailer is more convenient
The BOSTITCH Finish Nailer Kit 16ga Smart Point is yet another excellent nailer for installing hardie trim.
This powerful finish nailer is specifically designed to drive 16 gauge finish nails- lengths between 1-1/4 inches and 2-1/2 inches.
It does not accept other finish nails sizes so please keep this in mind before investing in it.
One of its most unique features is the Smart Point Technology which allows for easy nail placement. The nailer has a significantly smaller nose compared to the current Bostitch nailers.
You don’t even need to compress the contact tip in order to actuate the tool.
The Bostitch BTFP71917 Finish Nailer features a tool-free jam release mechanism which allows for easy nail removal.
It also features a dial-a-depth control that allows for precise countersinking of nails.
Other important features worth mentioning about the Bostitch 16GA Finish Nailer include;
- A Selectable Trigger System which allows for either sequential or contact operation- you can choose the most preferred one
- Rear Air Exhaust
- A Belt Hook with an integrated pencil sharpener for easy accessibility of the tool
- Carrying Case
- Extra No-Mar Tips
- Oil-Free Operation which greatly reduces the risk of oil stains on your work surface
- Sturdy and Durable construction
- Honestly, I haven’t seen many complaints about the finish nailer. Sure, I’ve seen a few complaints about it jamming but compared to other models I’ve reviewed, the Bostitch offers a much better overall performance.
And last but not least, we have the Dewalt 20V MAX XR Finish Nailer 16GA.
It’s a really powerful angled nailer that drives 16 gauge angled finish nails measuring from 1-1/4 inches to 2-1/2 inches. This makes it an excellent choice for installing all kinds of trims, including hardie trim, crown molding, baseboards, casings, and more.
Since it’s battery-powered, you don’t need to hassle with a compressor, expensive gas cartridges, or hose. It’s practically ready to use out of the box. It comes with a powerful 20V Lithium Ion battery.
When fully charged, the nailer is capable of driving a large amount of nails with just one charge, thus increasing your productivity.
This finish nailers comes with a Brushless Motor which is powered by the 20V Lithium ION Battery. It does a great job maximizing the nail gun’s run time while increasing its durability.
The tool-free depth adjustment ensures precise countersinking of nails while the tool-free jam release quickly and easily helps clears nail jams.
This DEWALT finish nailer also features a tool-free selectable trigger which allows for either sequential or contact actuation modes.
Other important features I can’t forget to mention about the DEWALT Angled Finish Nailer include;
- An Integrated tool-free stall release lever which helps to quickly reset the driver blade in case a stall occurs
- Comes with multi-functional LED lights that help illuminate your work space and even identify errors as soon as they occur after firing nails
- Features an inline magazine allows for hassle-free usage in multiple orientations and in tight spaces
- Its fully compatible with all DEWALT 20V MAX batteries
- Its built to last- its sturdy and durable construction will ensure its long-lasting performance
- It’s quite expensive- although it’s one of the best nail guns in the market, its pricing is exorbitant when compared to other popular models. All the same, if you understand the kind of performance and durability DEWALT power tools provide, then the pricing shouldn’t be much of an issue
How to Install Hardie Trim?
Below is a hardie trim installation video that clearly explains how to install hardie trim;
Best Nail Gun for Hardie Trim- Wrapping It Up
Finding the best nail gun for hardie trim is key to making your installation project easy and accurate.
As you may have noticed, all the finish nailers I’ve recommended are 16GA, which is the correct nail size recommended for installation hardie trim.
After reading this comprehensive review, I am confident that you’ll be able to easily select the best nail gun for hardie trim.