Can you power wash Trex decking?
This is a question that most Trex decking owners ask.
Well, I will go straight to the point.
Yes, you can power wash your Trex Decking.
According to the manufacturer of Trex decking, you can power wash your decking, but there are restrictions;
You can only use a pressure washer that has no greater than 3100psi. The pressure washer must also have a attachment/adjustment as well as a soap dispenser.
What Could Go Wrong If You Incorrectly Power Wash Your Trex Decking?
Everything could go wrong.
Composite decking material is typically softer compared to natural wood. Therefore, too much pressure applied to the material can easily scratch it.
However, this can only happen if you pressure wash the deck either too close to the surface or using too much pressure.
Once the inside material has been exposed, it becomes more prone to a load of other issues such as sun damage, water damage, mold and mildew staining, chipping, and many others.
Of course, you will want to avoid this at all cost.
Installing a Trex decking isn’t cheap, so ensuring that the decking is properly maintained should be your priority.
How To Avoid Damage to your Trex Decking While Power Washing
Using a pressure washer to clean your Trex Decking is completely safe. However, keep these three important things in mind;
- Use the Lowest Pressure Possible- Trex recommends using a power pressure whose Pounds per Square Inch (psi) is no greater than 3000. PSI typically measures the pressure or cleaning force of the water created through a pressure washer
- The pressure washer must have a fan attachment or adjustment as well as a soap dispenser
- Rinse each individual deck board using a fan tip that is no closer than 8-inches from the decking surface
NB: As long as you follow these instructions, your Trex decking will not incur any damages.
Which Pressure Washer Would You Recommend for Washing Trex Decking?
If you’re looking for the best pressure washer for trex decking, I totally recommend only one;
Besides being one of the best-selling pressure washers on Amazon, there so many reasons why I chose to Sun Joe SPX3000 Pressure Washer.
Here is a list of all the things you’ll love about the Sun Joe SPX3000 pressure washer;
- The Sun Joe SPX3000 Pressure Washer generates up to 2030psi which ensures maximum cleaning power. 2030psi is ideal for Trex decking since its way below 3000psi
- It comes with 5 quick-spray nozzles that allow you to adjust the pressure output of the spray to your needs. In other words, you can easily reduce or increase the amount of pressure in the spray depending on your cleaning needs. Since the pressure output is adjustable, this pressure washer is ideal for cleaning Trex decking
- It generates enough pressure to remove any heavy mildew stains, oil stains, grease, tar, and other types of stains and dirt from your Trex decking
- The unit is equipped with a dual-detergent tank system which stores different types of detergents. The dual –tank allows you to simultaneously switch between different detergents for different cleaning projects
- The power washer comes with a long 34-Inch extension spray wand as well as rear wheels which provide great maneuverability and easy access to hard-to-reach areas
- The unit also comes with a very long 25 foot extension hose for hassle-free cleaning in large areas
- Ideal for small to large Trex decks
- Comes with a very long 35 foot power cord that lets you clean a large part of your deck without keeping on changing the power output
- It features the Total Stop System trigger which typically acts like a safety lock switch that shuts off the pressure washer pump when the trigger is not engaged. This helps to save energy while extending the washer’s life
- Also comes with a 10-Inch patio cleaning attachment
- Comes with a Rotary Wash Brush Kit
- Also comes with a Quick-Connect Turbo Head Spray Nozzle
- The unit is backed by Snow Joe and Sun Joe’s 2-Year Warranty from the date of purchase. You can purchase this pressure washer knowing that Sun Joe has got you covered!
- It’s one of the most affordable yet high-performance and durable pressure washers in the market right now
- The pressure washer is built-to-last
- It’s easy to assemble
- Its easy to move around and lightweight- ideal for seniors as well
- Very quiet operation
- Its upright design doesn’t take up much space
- A lot of great reviews from happy customers
What You May Not Like About the Sun Joe SPX3000 Pressure Washer
- It’s easy to knock over the pressure washer when you pull the hose. The hose gets heavier when filled with water and since the unit itself is lightweight, it becomes easy to knock over
Overall, this is a well made pressure washing machine that delivers better than expected results.
How Much Does the Sun Joe SPX3000 Pressure Washer Cost?
There are countless pressure washers in the market right now.
However, when it comes to affordable pressure washers, the Sun Joe SPX3000 unit tops the list.
This unit will without a doubt give you excellent value for your money.
How to Power Wash your Trex Decking-Useful Tips
Follow these instructions to clean your Trex Decking;
1. Spray the deck with soap and water. The Sun Joe pressure washer has a soap dispenser
2. Next, gently scrub each deck board with a soft bristle brush. You can purchase the Sun Joe SPX-PCA10 10-Inch Patio Cleaning Brush Attachment. It’s a soft-bristle brush that is attached onto the pressure washer hose and extension wand. It does a great job loosening up dirt, grime, and debris from your Trex decking. Its quite affordable and is compatible with this particular model
3. The next step is spraying/rinsing each deck board using a pressure washer. Use a fan tip to ensure that excessive pressure is not produced. Also, spray the deck while holding the fan tip no closer than 8-Inches from the decking surface
4. Make sure no dirty water remains on the decking surface as this will cause an unsightly film on the surface
Can You Power Wash Trex Decking?- Bottom Line
There is a lot of misinformation regarding whether or not you can power wash your Trex decking.
But now, you are well aware of the facts.
All you have to do is use the lowest pressure and avoid spraying too close to the decking surface and you’re good to go.
So go ahead and power wash your Trex decking without any worries!